Thursday, August 20, 2009

Miss Independent

I consider myself pretty independent. I learned last night, however, that the depth of a person's independence is equal to the depth of their knowledge.


I don't know how to change a tire.

Independence flies out the window when it's 10:15 at night and you've got a flat. I called my dad immediately and within twenty minutes, my own personal Triple A arrived.

I made an attempt at preparing the way by removing the jack from the compartment and putting it in the proper position. I also removed the plastic wheel cover as instructed by the laminated diagram that was also in the jack compartment. I tried to loosen the lugnuts but there was no give.

From the time he arrived until the time the spare was secured in place, it seemed like only five minutes had passed. Had I tried to be tire-savvy and replace it myself, the Lord himself probably would have had time to come back and fix it. Thanks, Dad.

Independent schmindependent. The second draft of my personal ad should now read, "SWF seeks SWM to build treehouse, carry in groceries (when SWF goes grocery shopping), and be on hand to change a flat (so my dad doesn't have to)."

Oh, also, "Make out a little."

That is all.

1 comment:

Jamiedidit said...

Geez, we are living parallel lives. Last night, I left my keys on a bench downtown after waiting on a girlfriend to join me for dinner. Post-dinner, there were no house OR car keys to be found. What did I find in the receptionist's desk this afternoon, after paying $70 for replacement car keys? My spares. Now I will be eating Ramen for the rest of the week for NO REASON AT ALL.