Thursday, September 10, 2009

Bouquets of Sharpened Pencils

I feel as though I can rush fall's arrival by watching You've Got Mail. It's been so nice here lately that I watched it two nights ago just to encourage the weather to stay. I busted out the milk and cookies and pressed play.

I realized while I was watching that this movie has become a big part of the way I conduct myself. A big part of the reason why I love the things I love. I think one of the reasons why I love the simpler things in life is because Meg Ryan constantly points them out in this movie.

She says something in the movie when she was talking about her mother running the Shop Around the Corner - something like "No other reading shapes your life like when you read a book as a child. She wasn't just selling books, she was helping them become the people they were supposed to be." Massive paraphrase - but I love the sentiment. Ironically - I feel the same about the movie.

It's silly. And a little strange. But what if we say, "In with the good, out with the bad," and choose to be influenced by even the little things like movies, books (fiction and non), television, conversation, daisies (the friendlist flower) and bouquets of sharpened pencils!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

life would be perfect if we all payed attention to the little things!! i think i might go home and watch this movie tonight! good post

Jamiedidit said...

Oh, you know how much I love Kathleen Kelly of the little bookstore.

Gee whiz. We may be seperated at birth.

Anonymous said...

oh how i love this movie. one of the reasons why i wish that i can live in new york and experience all the seasons there. ugh, that is it watching it a.s.a.p!!!