Monday, August 18, 2008

This is really about that and one thing leads to another.

Two sets of long lost friends made their way up to Boise this weekend.

My friend Eric, whom I love (period), and my new friends Matthew and Kelly stayed for a whopping 29 hours. We took an adventure down the Boise River on Saturday. There is something to having a friendship that picks up where it left off. The type of friendship that stays up until four in the morning catching up he had to leave at nine the next morning to travel back to Seattle. We see each other maybe twice a year, enjoy the crap out of each other's company and barely speak the rest of our days. We purposefully go on with lives that have nothing to do with each other and somehow, when the two worlds intersect - we have loads in common. The shared experiences we've had always get brought up and are the lens through which we see each other now - my how far we've come and still have to go.

My friend Mario and my new friend Robbie drove up from Salt Lake to share some of their insight with my church. My pastor planned a truth event and invited Mario up to dialogue (word of the weekend) with anyone and everyone who had a question about the truth as it applied to faith and life in general. Saturday night was an open forum and Sunday was a time for Mario to share some of his discovery process. I've referenced before that he is a masterful thinker - and through his honest pursuit of that which is true, he's encountered challenges to his faith and has had the tenacity to press forward. I believe those encounters provided for some legitimate answers to the questions that were constantly asked this weekend. He and Robbie were like a walking, talking Google. Everyone had something to ask these guys.

Currently, I'm at my own kind of intersection regarding faith and truth. I had plenty of questions. You see, I have a sincere curiosity regarding God's ability to make people well. All kinds of well but specifically scenarios when people are experiencing physical trauma or disability. Paired with that curiosity, I have a lot of questions. Like why, when you ask God to do something inside a certain circumstance (i.e. some one's cancer, Alzheimer's, headaches, etc.), more often than not, it doesn't happen? Questions like - if things don't happen the way I ask them to, what does that mean? Did I ask wrong or does God have something else in mind? And if He does have something else in mind, instead of making those kinds of problems disappear, is it ok if I keep asking Him to do those kinds of things? I would wager that anyone that has prayed a prayer of this nature has asked themselves and God the same types of questions.

My thoughts on the subject of God's choice to heal somebody are incomplete. I can tell you, though, that at the heart of my down-right ache to witness things like this happen is the conviction that if I asked the God for something miraculous and He did it, wouldn't that speak of His credibility to a world that thinks God is dead or sleeping or never existed in the first place? Recognizing that witnessing something supernatural is probably the least common way to establish the fact the God still lives, I still want to ask Him for it so that someone might believe.

Asking for things that are impossible can really feel impossible. Understanding the impossible - even more complicated. After this weekend and a statement made that suggested that we don't have to know everything about our decisions to make them, I'm encouraged to proceed in this discovery process. I'd like to take the path labeled "Possible" and continue to ask questions along the way.

No comments: