Friday, November 19, 2010

Love me like a superstar, play me like a steel.


Little Big Town came through town again last night. This was my third LBT concert and they only get better.

The concert venue that most of these bands come through is just little. They sell general admission tickets and you just stand and stand and stand. Pro? If you get there early enough, you can get insanely close to the action up on the stage. Con? There is no clearly defined space bubble. We the people - the concert going public - are left to govern our own concert listening space. This is effective until you realize that your definition of appropriate concert listening space is different from someone elses. My scale of irritability varies depending upon my level of anticipation and enthusiasm for the performers on stage. Little Big Town is my second favorite musical group. I was a neurotic space governor last night.

I'm not proud of myself. I was uncharacteristically rude to the security guard and really rude to an overly talkative, attention-starved brunette in really tall heels. I'm not going to beat myself up over it because the guard and the brunette sort of had it coming. However, at the end of the day - the guard was just doing what he was told to do and the brunette was annoying but was attempting to be considerate.

Anyway. The music.

The first thing about LBT that takes my breath away is how tight their harmonies are. They have been singing together for twelve years and so I'm sure it comes with the territory. Still, their ability to pick the right notes and sing them until the swell fills the room is captivating.

The second thing that comes to mind is the warmth that they all deliver when they are on stage. They all have a sparkle in their eye and a smile on their faces all the time. I don't think it's contrived for stage presence purposes. I think it's overflow from their hearts - I think they genuinely love what they decided to do with their lives.

My favorite songs from last night were 'The Reason Why,' 'Bring It On Home To Me,' and 'Fire.' I was excited to see them do the build into the last part of 'The Reason Why' and they delivered. 'Bring It One Home To Me' has always been a favorite LBT song and when they started singing it, it was like seeing an old friend. 'Fire' was fun because I had my favorite someone there to kiss.

Little big thanks to Jimmy, Karen, Kimberly and Phillip. You guys deserve so much more recognition than you receive. You are wonderful.

No comments: